As of this writing, the Marineland Portrait is the #1 seller on Amazon.com (subcategory – Aquarium Starter Kits). Following along the lines of creating a nano aquarium similar to the Spec by Fluval, Marineland finds itself appeasing the masses with their latest rendition of an “all-in-one” nano tank.
|Product Name||Marineland Portrait|
|Item Dimensions||11.8 x 11.6 x 17 in|
This aquarium is basically a refresh of the older model known as the Marineland Contour 5. It also came in a 3 gallon model which can still be purchased on Amazon. From the looks of it, the light housing has changed probably to decrease the light “spilling” into the surrounding area, which can be unattractive and strainful on your eyes.
The durability and longevity of this tank has been verified by customers.
If you plan on using live plants, be sure to select low light requirement plants such as anubias and java moss.
Marineland Portrait Features:
- Thick curved glass tank and base feels durable.
- Elegant glass canopy slides to open.
- Hinged LED light for easy tank access. Especially handy when doing routine maintenance or plant pruning.
- Bright white and blue LEDs with daylight and moonlight settings. The blue LEDs produce a relaxing moonlight glow for night viewing of your plants and fish.
- Marineland is a trusted brand in the aquarium hobby and has built a great reputation with its awesome customer service.
- The 3 stage filtration system is neatly hidden away in the back compartment making for a distraction-free view of your aquarium inhabitants.
- A great starter tank for kids interested in the aquarium hobby.
- Water flow can be too much for some fish (i.e. bettas) that like less water movement.
- Filter motor may be a bit noisier than other aquariums in this price range and category.
- Additional lighting may be required if you want to grow high light plants or if you intend to use this as a nano reef tank.